Monday, November 15, 2010

Motivation through giving

I am surprised at how negative people can be to someone starting out on a new venture.  I have to admit, I can be knocked down pretty easily by certain people in my life.  I woke up a bit deflated and needing new motivation to take the risk of putting money into a studio space.  A motivating factor that would be outside of myself.  I have been a woman's rights activist for many years, volunteering at the Rape Crisis/Victims of Violence Program in Brooklyn for about ten years in total.  I ran into the creator of the program, Harriet Lessel, on the subway recently.  She now runs the New York Alliance Against Sexual Assault.  She told me that all of their funding had been cut.  All of it.  In addition, the Rape Crisis Program in Brooklyn is gone due to budget cuts.  Needless to say, I was pretty upset.  I mention all of this because this is what I have decided to do, I have decided to donate 10% of my earnings to The New York Alliance Against Sexual Assault.  I know it won't change the world, but it will motivate me and give me a purpose to get to the studio! 

Here is a link to their website for those interested.  Harriet Lessel is an amazing woman and has done much for our community. http://www.svfreenyc.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment